Gas Installations

All gas supplies, distribution pipe-work and gas fired appliances must comply with the relevant gas safety regulations.

All gas appliances must have an annual gas safety check undertaken by a GAS SAFE registered gas installer. A copy of the gas safety record must be made available to the occupier in accordance with the regulations.

All gas appliances should be serviced and maintained regularly in accordance with regulations and manufacturers instructions (usually every 12 months).

The property manager MUST keep the previous two years gas safety records available for inspection upon request.

All work to any gas appliances must be carried out by a suitably qualified gas engineer.

Where occupants need to operate controls for gas fired central heating or hot water systems, simple and precise instructions for their safe and efficient use must be available.

An emergency control valve must be provided within 500mm of the gas meter that all occupants can easily access. Further guidance on provision and control of heating systems can be found in section on space heating.

Electrical Installations

In HMOs the increased number of occupants can impose a significant extra load on the power and lighting circuits. The capacity of these circuits must therefore be sufficient to maintain safe use.

All electrical installations including fixed equipment must be installed and maintained in accordance with the most recent version of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) Regulations.

Any new installations or alterations to existing installations must be done in accordance with Document P of the current Building Regulations. For all such works you are also required to contact the council‘s Building Control section – telephone 0151 233 3021.

All electrical installations must be inspected and tested in accordance with the IET Regulations, currently at least every 5 years, and the results recorded in an appropriate register. It is recommended that each system is fully checked on the commencement of a new tenancy.

Any electrical installation and or alterations must be carried out by a suitably qualified electrical engineer (Registered with a UKAS approved competent persons scheme).